Boca Raton Wrongful Death Attorneys Discuss the Damages Available to Families Grieving an Accidental Loss
Compassionate attorneys representing families facing tragedies throughout South Florida
If you and your relatives are grieving the loss of a beloved family member who died because of the negligence of another, whether it was in a car accident caused by a drunk driver, the negligent actions of a physician, an injury from a defective medical device or an adverse effect from a dangerous drug, a wrongful death claim allows the heirs to recover compensation. A wrongful death claim is a civil action through which the heirs may recover damages under Florida’s Wrongful Death Act (Fla. Stat. 768.21).
No one expects to experience the accidental loss of a loved one. When it happens to you, and when you find out that their death was a preventable accident, it can make the devastation feel that much more intense. At Yeboah Law Group, we can’t ease your grief, but we can pursue compensation on your behalf to ease the financial stress that comes with an unexpected loss. We protect your interests as we pursue justice on behalf of your lost loved one.
Damages in wrongful death claims
In the case of a wrongful death claim, damages are financial compensation for the non-economic and economic losses that a family incurs when a loved one passes away. The amount of damages is decided upon in a settlement or in a jury verdict. The following are the various types of damages that survivors might expect to recover in a wrongful death lawsuit:
- Economic damages. Economic damages are damages that cover the loss of the financial contribution the deceased made to his or her family, how much future losses the family will suffer because of their loss and any final expenses incurred because of the accident or incident:
- Medical expenses. If the decedent was rushed to the hospital and underwent medical procedures before he or she died, these expenses would be included.
- Funeral expenses. This would include reimbursement to the family for the burial expenses.
- Loss of future income. Considering the deceased’s annual income, their pension, benefits, etc.
- Loss of companionship. The deceased’s close family members can recover damages for the loss of the companionship of their loved one.
- Loss of support. These damages would compensate the heirs for the loss of the things that the loved one did for them, for example, the myriad services that a mother provides for her children.
Additional damages available include:
- Mental pain and suffering of the grieving loved ones.
- Children of the deceased who are under age 25 may seek damages for the loss of parental guidance.
- Parents who lose a child because of the negligence of another might also seek damages for the pain and suffering for the loss of a child.
Are punitive damages available in a Florida wrongful death claim?
For punitive damages to be considered, there is a fairly high standard before the court will allow this type of damages. Punitive damages are meant to punish the person at fault in the decedent’s death rather than compensate the grieving survivors. One must be able to prove that the defendant held a reckless disregard for the life of the deceased and that his or her conduct demonstrated gross recklessness. For this reason, punitive damages are not often awarded in a wrongful death case.
Preparing a wrongful death case
Just because the deceased lost their life in an accident that you believe was caused by the negligence of another person, you do not get to recover financial compensation automatically. As the plaintiff, you must be able to prove with compelling evidence, that the wrongful death of your loved one was a direct result of negligence on the part of another person or a manufacturer that made or built a product that caused your loved one’s death. Preparing and presenting your case requires the skill of an experienced Boca Raton wrongful death who will use their knowledge of the law, and of the civil court system to recover the compensation due to you and your family after your tragic loss.
Obtaining justice for families when a life is wrongfully lost in South Florida
At the Yeboah Law Group, we serve families who have lost loved one because of the fault of someone else. Our Boca Raton wrongful death lawyers investigate the accident, determine fault, and fight for fair compensation for the decedent’s heirs. We are known for balancing compassion for our clients with aggressive representation against the wrongdoers. Just a minute away from Publix Super Market at Fifth Avenue Shops, schedule your free initial consultation, please phone Yeboah Law Group at 1-800-TELL-SAM or complete our contact form.
Se habla español.
Types of Cases We Handle
Our Boca Raton attorneys handle a variety of cases, including:
|Car Accidents||Truck Accidents||Motorcycle Accidents|
|PIP FAQs||Wrongful Death||Nursing Home Negligence|
|Product Liability||Premises Liability||Employment Discrimination|
Boca Raton Office
Yeboah Law Group, P.A.
1515 N Federal Hwy
[available by appointment only]