Every day, the news is filled with reports of vehicle accidents on the roadways of Florida. While these incidents range in severity from mild fender benders to serious fatal accidents, Florida roadways have proven to be among the deadliest in the United States. According to a recent study of National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Federal Highway Administration data, the state of Florida is home to six of the nation’s ten most dangerous highways. As reported by Forbes, the Florida roadways making the list include:
- Florida US-1, which tops the list with 1,011 fatal crashes and 1,079 fatalities
- Florida US-41 ranks second on the list with 714 fatal crashes and 772 fatalities
- Florida US-27 is third on the list with 529 fatal crashes and 614 fatalities
- Florida US-441 ranks fifth on the list with 417 fatal crashes and 442 fatalities
- Florida US-17 is ninth on the list with 387 fatal crashes and 420 fatalities
- Florida US-98 rounds out the list at number ten, with 422 fatal crashes, and 465 fatalities
Factors that make Florida highways dangerous
There are a number of reasons for increased vehicle accidents and fatalities on these Florida highways. Overcrowding is one factor. The state’s vast population results in crowded roadways with extensive numbers of vehicles on a daily basis. This crowding, coupled with poor driving behaviors, can lead to above average instances of vehicle accidents and resulting deaths. When drivers fail to maintain proper distance from cars in front of them, or change lanes without properly checking their surroundings, severe injuries can result.
Reports also suggest that distracted driving may be a major contributor to the prevalence of vehicle crashes on the Florida roadways. The use of cell phones and other electronic devices can keep drivers from paying adequate attention to the operation of their vehicles, other vehicle drivers, and roadway conditions. When a distracted driver causes severe injuries to innocent victims, a skilled Fort Lauderdale vehicle accident attorney has the knowledge and resources to establish responsibility and secure high-value compensation.
Every day, millions of Florida residents and visitors take to the state’s roadways to travel to and from their various destinations. The attorneys of Yeboah Law Group provide vehicle accident victims with earnest representation they can trust. Our cases are handled on a contingency basis, so you do not have to worry about the stress of legal fees while trying to heal from your vehicle accident injuries. Contact our law firm at 1-800-TELL-SAM or complete our contact form to schedule a free consultation.
- Comparative Negligence in Florida Explained
- 10 Facts About Safe Drivers in Florida
- Proper Vehicle Maintenance Can Reduce Car Accidents
- Accident Reconstruction Can Be Used to Help Determine Fault in a Car Crash
- Five Miami-Dade and Broward Residents Killed in Fatal Car Crash
- 10 Steps to Take after a Car Accident in South Florida
Se habla español.